Tuesday, August 10, 2010

{Thrifty Tuesday} Reading Cookbooks


Have you missed me?  I have been a little bit away for a few days...thinking of things I want to write in this little space lately.  We just got back from a trip to watch my oldest in his first Freshman football scrimmage, celebrate his birthday and my sweet momma's birthday, and let me tell you, this was one excited, teary-eyed, super proud mom!  I promised not to embarrass him.  I'll post more on that later. 

Anyway, we stopped at Grandma Wilma's (and Papa Dee's) to say hi in the middle of all the football madness.  And she had a bag of things to send home with me.  Now I do send out silly emails and ask for vintage things from family, because we all "save" things...if they tell you we don't, they are lying.  Ha!  In the bag was a stack of vintage leaflet cookbooks that she thought I might enjoy.  What?  Enjoy?  Ummmm...love and hoard and read and scan images and share.  I LOVE THEM.  Here are a few of my favorites. 

I've always been a self-proclaimed Betty Crocker (did you know she is not real?  I was terribly disheartened) because I love to cook.  Grandma sent this:
Oh, how I love Betty.  The letter inside kinda made me giggle.  She talks about a bride that says she can make a cake but has problems with frosting. No fear!  They introduced four kinds of frosting mixes.  Oh, yay!

I couldn't find a copyright on the Betty Crocker book for the publishing date.  

The next one is this Borden's Eagle Brand milk cookbook.  So neat.  Super easy recipes to try.

Oh, the pies and truffles and candy...Christmas will be good again this year! This one was copyright 1952.

One that was really fun was this war time cookbook, published in 1943.  William enjoyed looking through this one as well.  It tells how to ration what you have so that you can get more out of your grocery purchases.  I might have to share some of the recipes on Feed the Birdies on Friday.  Super cool.
Now, my grandma knows I like to read cookbooks (and sometimes try the recipes) as much as she does.  We truly enjoy just reading through the recipes.  Should have thought about a career in cooking/cookbook publishing maybe?  Haha!  But, if you have some like this that need a home...***points to self***  Christmas shopping for me is easy peasy.  Thanks, Grandma!

Tomorrow, after seeing the cakes and cookies on this post...I will post a health update.  Yay!  It's good, lovelies, it's good.  And also I have a book suggestion for you.  Do you have any for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment