Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pink Popcorn Boy! Run!

My vintage magazines make for interesting, inspiring, and funny reading for sure!  For the last day of our little "Treat Week," I thought I would share some vintage recipes, and instead I came across these ads that just made me giggle.  I really wish I had lived in the era of June Cleaver and Betty Draper, but I am not so sure I would have wanted to be COOKING in that era.  Ha!  Look at these ads I pulled from December 1962, 1964, and 1965 Family Circle Magazine.  By the way...the cover price back then?  10 cents.  Cool.(Oh, and I promise a modern recipe at the end of the post!)
Oh my gosh!!  Pink Popcorn Boy might be the star (or scare) of your Christmas Buffet! Haha!

Hmmmm...hot Dr. Pepper?

The cake of a "wife" time?  Really? What does that mean, actually?
Oh, gross.

For a minute I thought these cookies were baked with gum.

This popcorn tree is ALMOST as funny as Pink Popcorn Man up there.  I wonder if he could be an ornament on it?

Lemon...nog...Lemonog? pie?  with that jellied fruit from fruitcakes?  Blech. 

Well, now that I have helped you plan your next holiday line-up...
Here's a REALLY GOOD recipe to share when you need a quick, simple dip for parties or whatever...this is from my sweet aunt, and I take it everywhere.  We eat buckets of it when there are 30 plus of us there.  If it's not there on the table, somebody's in trouble.  So, here you go:

CONFETTI DIP
1 jar Armour dried beef (near the canned tuna and chicken)
(yes, I know I just gagged at the Spam ad)
1 can Rotel (I use mild)
2 pkgs. cream cheese (I use low fat)
3 or 4 chopped green onions

Here's how I do it.  I am sure my aunt makes hers a little different, but it's still yummy.  Process the dried beef in the food processor, and gradually add the cream cheese in chunks.  Then add the Rotel.  I drain it a little bit, but you need some liquid to make the dip creamier.  Then poor what you have into a mixing bowl, and fold in the chopped green onions.   Serve it in a pretty chip and dip tray with tortilla chips, Fritos, or we also figured out those new Keebler Italian crackers are great with it.  Enjoy!  

I hope you had fun this week! This was a first run at trying something new and adding some friends to the fun.  I have a new line up of things to do this weekend, and I share soon!





2 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I cannot believe you have never had Hot Dr. Pepper with lemon! I grew up on that at Christmas every year! We had a Christmas in the park and they always served it. So good and I hate Dr. Pepper. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are beyond awesome and funny!

    ReplyDelete