Thursday, June 20, 2013

Finished Book 1: A Grown Up Kind of Pretty


I've finished book one of my ten-book goal for the summer.  A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty, by Joshilyn Jackson, hooked me from the first page because of the Southern dialect.  I love reading stories from the South because of the way the characters usually "talk" and because of the culture.  This one doesn't disappoint.  It is about three women (three generations, actually) and each of them wishes a different life for the next because of the mistakes they think they made growing up, and then they ultimately are so much alike that the same life can't be avoided.  But the differences in the way their lives play out, and the way the book travels from one time period to another (with lots of familiar and current references to today's lifestyle) is mesmerizing.  I loved it.

What is on your list?  I just started The Silver Linings Playbook today, and I can't put it down.  I'll plow through that one in a few days, I'm sure.

1 comment:

  1. trina, i've read this book too. in fact, i've read every book by joshilyn jackson i could find at the library. i like her writing style. tell us how you liked the playbook ;)

    ReplyDelete